Spend $95 and enjoy FREE standard delivery | Christmas Shipping Cut Offs: learn more

FEATURED

Pack it up, Pack it in

Today’s the day - you’ve eagerly awaited your online Lush order full of solid, packaging-free products. You’re taking another important step to reduce your plastic waste and you’re feeling good. The birds are singing, the bees are buzzing, and before you open the box you can smell that unmistakable fragrance. Even the postie commented on it!

From November 2019, we’ve stripped back even more, and will be shipping solid products straight to you naked (don’t worry about the delicate ones, they’ll be in recyclable greaseproof). While the bags we've used in the past are made of plant cellulose and can be composted, this new change will reduce the amount of bags needed in the first instance by more than half a million a year!

Now, instead of compostable cellulose bags, your products will be separated by recycled cardboard dividers to keep your products safe and stop any chance of them bumping into one another.

But are those polystyrene pellets? Nope! Cushioning your products is eco-flo, made from 100% Australian wheat and soy starch from renewable resources. These are basically vegan nuggets that are technically edible - just please, don’t ever expect them to taste any good - and if you’re gluten intolerant best stay kind to your insides and avoid ingesting at all!

When producing eco-flo the wheat and soy starch are fused into a long polymer chain, giving the final product similar properties to polystyrene. Unlike polystyrene, eco-flo will biodegrade quickly in water and soil. Green thumbs will also be keen to know, starch is a great source of nourishment for plants. Dissolve some in your watering can the next time you’re giving the garden a drink.

Your delivery box is sealed with paper packaging tape and is also made of 100% recycled and recyclable cardboard. Though we’d strongly suggest repurposing into a cat cave before heading out to the recycling bin.

Even your What’s in my parcel leaflet will be printed on double-sided 100% recycled paper!

All this gives you the freedom to start sending gifts in their birthday suits, giving with a clear conscience, and treating yourself to a bath without unnecessary, environmentally-damaging unwrapping.

Just like all our eco-conscious customers, Lush don’t stop at the products when considering the impact we have on our precious planet. We will always strive to ensure the journey from us to your bathroom is as environmentally-friendly as it can be.

Now pop yourself into that bath shimmering with plastic-free glitter and imagine a wonderful waste-free world.

Comments (13)
13 Comments

heatherinadl_2081793

about 7 months ago

Is it better to return cleaned black pots to a lush store or put them in our recycling bins?

Lush Customer Care

about 7 months ago

Staff

You can recycle the bottles yourself at home or bring back 5 empty, clean black LUSH pots to your local shop for us to recycle and we'll give you a Fresh Face Mask! x LUSH

about 11 months ago

I didn't know at all about your pellets being biodegradable until calling your 1300#, and then only by searching for "articles with packing in them." It would be great if this information was front and center on your website. Thanks for all your fantastic products and all the other friendly packaging you use!

charlottelevey99_2104373

about 2 months ago

its written on the box

kaye.bonato_1996083

about 1 year ago

Really good to know those packaging pellets are good for the garden....this package I'm expecting the pellets will go direct into the garden and not the compost this time.

about 1 year ago

This is my first time ordering from Lush online, and I was concerned about the bath bomb packaging, as when I bought them in store they're in those brown bag, but I like to display mine in my bathroom, so I always have to open them up and wrap in cling wrap for protection. So I'm very happy to hear about these Cello bags, as I read that they’re great for storing your products in if you’re not quite ready to use them. Exactly what I need! No more cling wrap! Awesome!

about 1 year ago

I must admit, I was shocked when I received my very first delivery from Lush. My first thoughts were WTF, I'm going out of my way to reduce waste and you send my stuff in all this. BUT...... then I happened to be in a store and mentioned this to one of the awesome staff members, and let me tell you... I was completely blown away. You guys are by far now my favourite online shopping destination. Thanks for being so aware of our planets needs and the impact we have on it.

megmegmeg

about 1 year ago

Are we able to post empty containers back to you? Thanks :)

Lush Customer Care

about 1 year ago

Staff

We do not run our black pot return program through our online store as we unfortunately just don’t have the resources to sort through pots in this manner, and much of the environmental benefit of the program would be negated by the shipping required. xx The LUSH Team

SummerStorms

about 1 year ago

Glad to hear about the plant cellulose clear bags! Hoping that sometimes my bath products might be packed in these. I compost wherever I can, and recycle and upcycle, but I still get bummed when an accident is caused to precious (and exy, and sometimes limited edition) Lush stuff in transit because it was totally unwrapped. I also support new kinds of packaging that aren't as harmful, that's something I hope supermarkets take on board.